Here are some tips for you to maintain good oral health during pregnancy.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day. Brush or thoroughly rinse your mouth with water or fluoride mouth rinse after meals and snacks.
- Use fluoride toothpaste or mouth rinse to prevent tooth decay.
- Floss your teeth every day before bedtime
- Eat a variety of healthy foods everyday based on Canada’s food guide. Get enough calcium and vitamin D for you and the fetus to a stronger teeth and bone development. Limit sweet foods.
- Regular dental check-ups and cleaning are needed during pregnancy. Any pain, swelling or infection in the mouth should be treated right away. Make sure your dentist or dental hygienist is aware of your pregnancy before any treatments, x-rays, local anesthetics, and prescriptions.