Having a tooth extracted doesn't have to be a long and arduous process. When you give yourself the time you need to heal and follow some simple steps, your recovery can be comfortable, and you won't have to put your life on hold. Here are eight tips to help your recovery go smoothly.
- Get Plenty of Rest - Plan on taking the remainder of the day of surgery off to rest and limit your activities in the next couple of days following your surgery.
- Be Careful Around Your Surgical Site - Keep pressure on your surgical site immediately following your procedure, and be sure to avoid smoking and drinking through a straw to keep your blood clot in place.
- Eat Soft Foods - Stick to soft foods for the first few days after your surgery, so you don't irritate the surgical site.
- Keep Hydrated - Make sure to drink plenty of water, but avoid caffeine, hot, or carbonated beverages right after surgery.
- Use Pain Medication as Directed - Your East Vancouver dentist will provide you with pain medication that you can use as needed.
- Use a Cold Compress - A cold compress applied right after surgery can help to minimize swelling.
- Continue Oral Hygiene - It's important to brush your teeth after oral surgery; remain cognizant of and avoid the surgical site.
- Avoid Alcohol and Tobacco - Do not use alcohol or tobacco for at least a week after your surgery, as they could cause complications or delay healing.
You can rest assured that your team at Alta Dental Studio will be here to support you throughout the entire process if you have oral surgery in Vancouver. You can always feel free to contact our dental office at (604) 876-5032 if you have questions, concerns, or need to be seen during your recovery.